Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's Called Common Courtesy....

Our dog Lilly is the best dog ever, seriously. Except when you give her a chance to run outside. I mean, even open the door a crack and if you're not paying attention, she's opened the rest of the door with her nose and out she goes. She's even tried to squeeze through my legs before. It's ridiculous how hard she tries to go outside. Then when she makes it outside, she runs as fast as she can in whatever directions she faces first. But usually, it's the street. We are around the corner from a very busy street and that's the direction she usually goes in before I convince her to come back with treats in hand.
This last weekend she got out again. But this time was different. She saw someone. And if you don't know, beagles LOVE people. They want to jump on and lick every person they come in contact with. So this woman is walking in the road that leads to the busy road and Lilly goes straight for her (see map below). I was relieved because I just knew this woman was going to help me. NOPE. She just kept looking at the ground like she couldn't see Lilly. Before getting mad at the woman I made sure she wasn't in the middle of doing something. Nope. Just looking at the ground and walking. Then, she bends down and picks up trash in the road. Really??? All the while I am continually calling Lilly's name. At this point we are getting closer and closer to the busy road. I am getting terrified at this point and don't care how rude I sound. "Can you please grab my dog since she's standing right next to you?" Her response: "It's not my dog. You should've had it on a leash." I am livid, and yell Lilly's name once again and I guess Lilly catches onto my anger because she all of a sudden just lays down. I grab her and turn around to the woman and say "Thanks for being such a great neighbor." I know that I shouldn't have said anything to her but I just couldn't believe it. It's one thing when someone's dog gets loose and it's no where near you. I wouldn't expect for you to go running after it. But it's a different thing altogether when you see that your fellow neighbor is chasing after their dog and it comes right up to you. But instead to tell that person that they should've had it on a leash?? Did she really think that I let the dog go on purpose and was just chasing it around the neighborhood for exercise?? I know that I am partial to my dogs no matter how dumb they can be, but even if you don't have dogs wouldn't you at least have the decency to help your neighbor out??

1 comment:

Mama Ball said...

The diagram is awesome...I've showed it to several people.